Oslo Norway Mission, Called to Serve

Oslo Norway Mission, Called to Serve

Monday, November 2, 2015

Tønsberg, Norway - 7th Week in Norway

Happy Halloween everyone! I hope you had a great week. In Norway, Halloween is a new concept and every year more and more people celebrate it. There are a few kids out trick or treating but not very much compared to the states. It was still fun to see all the costumes. We stopped by a grocery store this week that had candy on sell and bought some for us. It was yummy!

I am loving Tønsberg already. My companions are Elder Orr and Elder Mckell. Elder Orr has been out on the mission for a year and a half. He is from California and attended Utah State for a year before he went on his mission. He is a great guy and I'm excited to learn from him. Elder Mckell was in my same MTC group. He is really nice and really smart. I'm excited for this experience I have to serve with them and I hope I can learn as much as I can.

On Tuesday, my last day in Fredrikstad, we were able to teach --- in Brother ---'s home. It was a sweet blessing to be able to teach her one last time before I left. I believe she will continue to progress.

On Wednesday, we left early to the train station and I rode the First train with Elder Phipps to Oslo. He got off to go to the airport so he could fly to Trondheim. I stayed on until Oslo and switched trains and rode to Tønsberg. That afternoon we had an appointment with a man named ---. His father is Italian and they live in Norway. he is 18 or 19. It was amazing to teach him. It was his first lesson with the missionaries. We taught him bits and pieces from the restoration, to the plan of salvation, and to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We gave him a Book of Mormon and committed him to read and pray with real intent to know if it is true. He is searching for the truth and I know he will find it if he acts on faith. This week I learned more about how important the Book of Mormon really is in our conversion and how important it is to pray with real intent, to have a sincere  and open heart. Praying with real intent means that we will act on whatever answer we receive. --- kept saying over and over, "this makes sense". I loved that because that is how the Gospel is for me. We might not know the answer to every question but when we look at the core of the Gospel, the simple truths such as we have a living God who is our Heavenly Father. His work and glory is for us to be happy and to live with Him again. He created a plan for us to help us grow, overcome trials and challenges and ultimately feel joy. I'm so grateful for my testimony of the Gospel. I know it is true! We were able set up another appointment with him on Wednesday.

On Thursday, we had district meeting. I love my new district. It was fun meeting 6 new missionaries. The district consists of 2 elders in Porsgrunn, and 2 sisters in skien and then us 3 elders in Tønsberg. Elder Orr is our District leader. I've excited to get to know them. Thursday night we tried visiting some potential investigators we have and ended up banking or knocking on doors in the area. One guy let us in and we were able to share our message with him and say a prayer. It was way awesome. He gave us coca cola and chocolate. We are going to try and stop by his house again another time.

On Friday, we visited the --- family. They fed us dinner and we ready Ether 12 with them. They are a recent convert family. they love missionaries and already invited us over for Christmas if we are still in the area. They made us tacos in pita bread and it was way good. They live in Sandefjord. Sandefjord use to have missionaries but there are none there at the moment. We have a car in Tønsberg so I drove for my first time in Norway! This next transfer I will try to get my Norwegian license so I can drive throughout my mission. In Norway the US license only works for your first 3 months here. 

On Saturday, We visited ---, --- and ---. They are a part member family. ---, the mom, and ---, the son, are both members but are inactive. --- is Brazilian. --- is Norwegian and he is not a member. We are helping --- learn Norwegian. The amazing thing is that ---, --- and --- have started coming to Church. They have been for the last several weeks. --- loves church and our goal is to start teaching him. 

On Sunday, we went to church. Tønsberg is a branch and has about 20-25 members every week. It is small but they are strong. I bore my testimony and introduced myself to them. Testimony meeting was wonderful! Atlanta got up and bore her testimony. She said how she loves the church and believes it is the right way for her family. She testified that Jospeph smith was a prophet and that the church is true. It made me so happy to see her faith and act on it by sharing her testimony.

Today, we are going to try to go to a museum here in Tønsberg. There is a lot of History here and it should be fun. I love it here in Tønsberg already and there is a lot of good work going on. Our next week is almost booked with appointments which is incredible. I pray that we may be able to help and strengthen those we visit. 

My ponderizing scripture for the week is Proverbs 3: 5-6. 
5)"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
I've been thinking a lot about the plan of salvation and our divine nature. I know that God has a plan for us. He knows us personally and He love us. We are all Children of God. Think about that. That is amazing and we all have the potential to be like him. Our Decisions determine our destiny so it is our job to live the Gospel and keep the commandments. We should strive to do God's will. The best way to do that is to Trust in Him. Go to Heavenly Father in Prayer and pray for guidance. I know he will bless those who seek him.

I love you all! Thanks for all your support and prayers. Have a Fabulous week!


Elder Witt



Fortress in Halden

No comments:

Post a Comment