Oslo Norway Mission, Called to Serve

Oslo Norway Mission, Called to Serve

Monday, May 30, 2016

May 23, 2016 -- Tromsø, Norway

Hey Everyone!!

We had a busy busy week! Lot's of things happen and I got some exciting news! It is time for the next transfer and I found out that I will be staying in Tromsø and training a new missionary.  I'm a little nervous for it but It will be a good experience. I'm looking forward to it. Elder Osguthorpe, my companion will be going to Tønsberg! The last area I served in. He is going to do awesome. It was an honor serving with him for two transfers. He is a good man.

On Tuesday, It was Syttende mai, Norway's national holiday. It was so fun!! The city was packed with people. Lot's of people wore their traditional Norwegian clothes and there was lots of food stands. There were 4 different parades. First in the morning there was an elementary school parade, with all the kids. They walk down main street and there were lots of school marching bands. Second a little later in the day there was a små barn tog, or a parade for preschoolers. Third there is the Russ tog, this is all the graduating seniors in high school. They have huge celebrations leading up to may 17th which is called Russ. Lastly, there was another parade which was the big one. It had all the local organizations, clubs, and teams. There were gymnasts, soccer players, dance teams, motor cross teams, karate clubs, and many more. So we watched most of the parades during the day which was fun. Also during the day, the local museum was free. It is a small aquarium and we were able to watch them feed and train the polar seals. 

On Wednesday, we took a plane to Trondheim to go on splits with the Zone leaders. We were with them Wednesday and thursday and flew home thursday night. An appointment fell through so I spent my time on the street contacting :) I was out with one of the zone leaders and had a cool experience. I was out contacting and I had with me a picture of Jesus and on the back of the card you can order a free movie called "finding faith in Christ". I stopped this man and felt like I should use this card to approach him. I don't usually begin by talking about this free movie we have to give and anyway this man turned out to be a professional movie maker and was interested in the movie! He gave us his number without even asking and said he was busy for the time being but would have time in the future. It was a neat experience!

On Friday, we finally had a day to work in Tromsø. We did weekly planning. It was weird planning for next transfer. Time goes by really fast. We also met with ---. The lesson went really well and we were able to set up another baptismal date with him..... Unfortunately.... The next day, he sent us a text saying that he has been thinking and wants to stop meeting. It was sad but all we can do is keep pushing forward. He will not meet with us any more.

On Saturday, we went and did service again at a member's farm who is struggling financially. They live far away in Sand. We worked on prunny strawberry plants in the rain for 4 to 5 hours. It was tough work but also a lot of fun. 

Sunday, we had a return missionary and her family visit for church. It was a neat experience. The daughter just barely returned home form Norway a couple months ago and her dad served in Norway many years earlier. They both gave talks in Church. The family wasn't able to come to church because Sister Pedersen had surgery so they all weren't able to make it. Good news though is that we met with the family today, and had a really good lesson. We were able to order in some dutch book of mormons and pamphlets for them. 

Next sunday is district conference. The Mission President and the Stake patriach are coming to Tromsø and so are all other members in the district area if they can. 

My thought for the week is: 

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.“For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28–30).

I know that in Christ we can find rest for our souls. Christ loves us and will help carry our burdens. I chose this message because recently I've found my self becoming stress or anxious easily. It is true that missionary work is hard but I have also found it to be enjoyable. As we focus on Christ, and focus on others our burdens will be lighter. I'm grateful for all of you and your prayers. I know the church is true.



Love Elder Witt

No comments:

Post a Comment